Below you can find a selection of articles of local interest that have appeared in the newsletter over the last couple of years. Click on the title to view the full article.
A Bell and a 'Church'
A little Hollywood!
Hills Workers from the 1950s
Local Transport in the 1920s!
Getting to Fairyhouse on Easter Monday
Lucan St. Patrick's Day Parade 2013
A great day!
from Lucan 1945
Hills 1940s Outing
Murrays and a Byrne
Lukan Luks Luvly
Our old slogan...
The Highlanders are here ....
New arrivals in St. Catherines
Another great image from days gone by……
First Class - Presentation Convent School c. 1945 / ‘46
Boys and Girls
Summers of '63 and '33
The Air Corps escort the Papal Legate into Dun Laoghaire in 1932
Getting in shape ....
In their Sunday Best
off to the match?
Eucharistic Congress 1932 - Leixlip
We Remember Them!
Eucharistic Congress 1932
Eucharistic Congress 1932
Mill Bank, Lucan
The Non-Stop Draw
Fundraising in the 1950s
Winter in Lucan in the 1890s
Out come the memories too….
A Lucan Christmas
From the Front – Christmas 1918
A Christmas Card
Lucan Harriers Track 1984
Lucan By-pass 20 Years old this December
The Young Ones from 1955
4th Class Presentation Convent School 1968
Local Soccer Stars from the past!
The Hammond Lane Cup 1950-51 - Winners: CPI Lucan
Another Gem from the Past
Agnes and Rosie
50th Anniversary of First Leaving Cert. Class
St. Joseph's Reunion
Heritage at the 12th Lock
The Grand Canal at Lucan
The Miss Malones of Hillsborough
July Blooms in Lucan Demesne
all within 500m of the entrance
Those hazy crazy lazy days of summer....
Dodsboro Outing in 1950s
Super Heroes at the 12th Lock
The Irish Coastguard Rescue Service
Lucan Boxing Club 1985
blast from the past
Visitors to Lucan
Some people who worked there
a rare picture
Lucan BNS 1956
Pupils from 55 years ago
Who are they?
Old Chapel Hill
homes long gone
Spa Rovers with Little Joe
A Snowy Gem
from January 1933
Presentation Day - 21st November
Remembering the Sisters
The Niemba Ambush
Remembering a tragedy
A nostalgic look back over 80 years of life in Lucan up to the present day……
Sheltering from a Shower
at the Coffee House
The Grand Canal Way
Green Route – 12th Lock Lucan to 3rd Lock in Inchicore
There were Three Lovely Lassies.....
God be with the days......
10th Anniversary of our National Day of Pilgrimage
It's hard to believe ten years has passed since this event
Sportsmen from another era…….
Weston Hockey Club and Lucan Sarsfields GAA Club
Fr. Matthew Feis (Plain Chant) 1952
Maybe they were watching all the girls go by……
But if there had been a St. Patrick's Day Parade in Lucan back in the 1930s
Local function during the 60's.....
Another blast from the past.....
Hills Mill workers
Lucan Community Council of old
Some local talent
Lady's day at the Coffee House
The height of fashion
Around the World in GAA Days
Aaron Dunne documents the rise of Ireland's national games, throughout the Gulf, Australasia, Asia, and America.
Boys First Communion 1936
The Grimes Twins
Climbers make it to the top
Come fly with me .... and she did!
We received a rather nice letter recently from Ed and Marlene Toner of New Jersey. In it they complimented us on Treasures of Lucan – they had just recently received a copy. They also sent us an article from The Irish Echo about how they met – read on:
Just before our summer break, we carried a photo of ‘The Croppies’ – a local ballad group who were a big hit in the 1960s. In response to several queries about the group, Paul Howlett sent us the following:
The Greatest Irish Woman
Nano Nagle is the greatest Irish woman of all time. She was born in Ballygriffin, near Mallow, Co. Cork, in 1718.
Spanning the Generations (1967 - 2007)
Lucan Newsletter celebrates it’s 40th Birthday on Feb 26th 2007. Below are a few historical notes on the history of the Newsletter ...
Primrose Hill Garden
Fifty years ago (1958), Kenneth and Cicely Hall along with their son Robin, left Raheny and came to Lucan, taking up residence in Primrose Hill House. The old house was in bad repair, and much work needed to be done over the years.
Before the roof went on, we bought it! Six months later, on the 6th April 1968 we moved into our brand new home, in a new development, in the town land of Pettycannon….they called it “Esker Lawns”.